Saturday, June 14, 2008

Commission For My Church


Several months ago, the United Methodist Women of Christ of the Hills United Methodist Church requested that I do a painting of the church for use as the cover image for their 2008 cookbook.  Like all commissions, it was a bit of a struggle, as it needed to be more realistic, or "architectural", than my normal style, and it had to be in a vertical format to fit the cover, even though the church is a low, rambling building.  I painted a large sky and foreground to provide space for the text planned for the cover.  I completed the painting in April, and once we were sure my image of the painting was acceptable to the printing company, I framed the painting (half-sheet size) and presented it to my pastor, Mike Morey.  Everyone who has seen the image or the actual painting seems to like it.  It feels good to be able to use my art in service of my church.

No comments: